Whether you are suing someone else or drafting a will, you will need the services of a lawyer. It is very important that you choose a lawyer who is experienced, helpful and is willing to listen to all your problems. Here are some tips on how to choose the right lawyer:
1. Experience: Experience is the first thing which you should keep in mind while choosing a lawyer. You should always go for a lawyer who has sufficient knowledge in the concerned field. For example, if you are facing a criminal charge, find a lawyer specialising in criminal law and make sure the lawyer has sufficient courtroom experience. He will be able to use all his experience and defend you properly.
2. Do a background check: It is also very important to conduct a background check before hiring any lawyer. Make sure that the lawyer is registered. Go through the list of registered attorneys of your state and make sure that the name of the lawyer is there. You can also go through the reviews of the lawyer. It is also advisable to talk with his previous clients if possible. You will get an idea about his efficiency and professionalism.
3. Reputation of the law firm: While hiring a lawyer from a law firm, you should consider the size and the reputation of the firm. There are some advantages in choosing a lawyer from a small law firm. Since they don’t deal with many cases, you can expect their full attention at all times. A big firm on the other hand, deals with lots of cases at the same time. They won’t be able to completely focus on your case. However, they have a lot of resources. They will be able to gather all the evidence quickly and chalk out a winning strategy. Hence, before choosing a lawyer, you should consider the advantages and disadvantages.
4. Referrals: If your friends or relatives have worked with lawyers before, then you can ask them for recommendations. You can also try to contact with people, who have gone through the same trouble which you are facing currently. For example, if an assault charge has been filed against you, then you can talk with people who have faced such charges before and needed to find a family lawyer They will be able to tell you which lawyer you should pick.
5. Settle the fees: Before choosing a lawyer, make sure that you discuss in details regarding his fees. Lawyers will either charge an hourly rate or they will charge a flat fee. In case you are suing someone, you should always choose a lawyer who is ready to take a contingency fee. If he is reluctant to work on a contingency fee contract, then it means that he is not confident about the case. You should also decide the fees initially. Make sure that both of you have a written agreement, so that the lawyer doesn’t charge you any additional fee later on.
6. Visit the office of the Lawyer: It is always advisable to visit the office of the lawyer once before hiring him. Check whether the staff over there is friendly or not. You will get an idea about the level of professionalism of the lawyer. To find a quality lawyer concider a lawyer directory like this lawyersgeelong.com.au